1. SALE prices are compelling. Often times, we buy a product just because we think you are getting a good deal. But here's the thing, if you don't like it, you will never wear(use) it. Sale or not, you have to really like what you see before you get it.
2. The first tip naturally leads to this very important part. KNOW what you really NEED. Whether its home or wardrobe shopping, always have a list of things to buy so you can be on the lookout for a deal on those items. And when you do have a list, it is unlikely you will buy random stuff when you see a big sale or clearance. For example, birthday, christmas, whatever it is, i never buy just for the occasion. I am always looking for the missing thing in my wardrobe whether it is a woolen jacket or a pair of simple black boots and when i see the right deal, i get it even if its in the jacket in the middle of the summer.
3. Stick to your tastes and styles. Just because a name brand store is having a sale, does not mean you have to get it. Most brands have an affordable line for shoppers like us who want to own the first branded bag or shoes but they are pretty basic. So if i like leopard and fur and i can't afford to get it designer, i rather have a faux fur at street stores anyways. It doesn't matter how much designer stuff i own, what matters is how much i love my frugal $30 leopard jacket and how well i carry it :).
4. Home shopping and gadgets - One tip that is the most important when it comes to home shopping is 'you don't need so many gadgets'. A Gadget to keep your coffee warm, to make that special smiley pancakes or whatever looks like a great idea at the store is not so good an idea when its sitting pretty in storage for the rest of the year. Moderation is the best policy :).
5. Online shopping - My only mode of shopping since i have become a mother is online shopping. I admit that it misses the touch and feel factor and takes a bit of waiting but it adds convenience and comparison to the experience. Often times, i see whats online and then hit the stores to try it on. It's easier to miss things in the store sometimes if its not hanged at the right place or just not available in that store but i can see a 100 dresses on the website in 5 minutes and shortlist what i like so now when i go to the store, i am more efficient in looking for those faves.
Also, subscribe to your favorite stores online. I know my mailbox is more like an ad page these days but its nice to know when there is free shipping or sales in stores before even going to the mall. Websites like Shopstyle.com allow you to look up items across various retail stores and see where you can get the best prices.
Enjoy your shopping and spend responsibly! Happy Holidays from Frugal Stylist!
P.S A woolen cape, classic leather pumps, paintings for the house are some the items on my To-Buy list. Whats in your shopping list? Leave a comment and maybe i can help you find it :).