It's that time of the year again and little monsters are all eager to trick or treat but theres only one thing on my mind right now, my halloween costume. Now i am not one for bloody vampires or witches and i rather go with my fashion icons anyways. So here's some inspiration for all you ladies like me to dig up something fashionable.
1. Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's : A classic and iconic look from Breakfast at Tiffany's is an easy way to replicate. All you need is to add some gloves, tiara and some pearls to your old black dress.
2. Diane Keaton in Annie Hall : I maybe a hardcore Audrey Hepburn fan but now and then i find myself dressing down my baggy trousers with a vest and a hat. And thats why i like this look from Annie Hall so much because its fashion with comfort.
3. Olivia Newton from Grease : Going by the latest trends of leather, this one is easy to put together. Just add a black leather jacket to your leather tights and black top with some big hair and red shoes. You might also need some flair on this costume :).
4. Clueless in Plaids
5. Bonnie and Clyde : If you have a partner on this one, even better
As we prepare to spring into warmer weather, here's some inspiration. Remember, its also time to look at our wardrobe in a new way. Mixing the summer and winter looks can be a lot of fun and save you some spring shopping :).
If there is one power color that makes any woman look hot, it's red. We have been seeing this color on the red carpets too this award season and why not. Some of my favorite red dresses for you. Hope you find your perfect Valentine :).
As most people are gearing up for opening presents and traveling to home or faraway, packing is on the mind. So here are some travel tips for those perfect instagram and facebook photos :P.
1. Think ahead. Most of my packing happens in my head when I'm in bed or just chilling. Yes, as crazy as that sounds. I am a planning freak which means i break down my holidays in what we do on most days. Day 1 - Meet friends and family. Day 2 - Visit the city. Day 3 - New years party, etc. So now according to my days, i am shuffling through all my closet for the perfect outfit for every occasion. So i end up thinking i am gonna need a nice party outfit, a cozy sweater/jeans and maybe some chic skirt/shirt combo for the city day. Now that i have a little idea of what i need, i get into the closet and i know exactly what i am looking for. I pick the stuff, maybe find some matching jewelry/bag/shoes for the all of them and voila. I am done packing :). So the key is to just take a moment to plan what you will be doing and how you want to spend your travel days.
2. Reuse your outfits. If you are taking a 10 day vacation, you don't want to end up carrying 4 large carryalls. So make sure, you take things like jeans in limit which can then be paired with two tops. I also take a lot of small stuff like skirts, tights and cardigans. They take very little space and can make many outfits by interchanging them.
3. Comfort is the key. You might want to show off your new high heels on the vacation, but make sure you wear that on a dinner outing instead of a city tour. Unless you are Victoria Bekham and can walk on 6'' heels while holding a toddler :D. I stick to my ballerina flats for most of my sightseeing. Cute and comfy, win win!
4. Have fun. As much as we want to document our every move into instagram, Facebook, lookbook, blogs and whatever website there is on earth, don't forget to breathe, live and enjoy THE MOMENT.
Happy Holidays and bon voyage to all my fashionistas! XOXO Frugal Stylist
Holidays or not, we love to shop. Rich or poor, everyone wants a bargain and we are increasingly being consumed by sales and discounts. All this only to realize we barely like what we own in a few months.
Here are some important things to keep in mind when shopping not just for holidays but through out the year.
1. SALE prices are compelling. Often times, we buy a product just because we think you are getting a good deal. But here's the thing, if you don't like it, you will never wear(use) it. Sale or not, you have to really like what you see before you get it.
2. The first tip naturally leads to this very important part. KNOW what you really NEED. Whether its home or wardrobe shopping, always have a list of things to buy so you can be on the lookout for a deal on those items. And when you do have a list, it is unlikely you will buy random stuff when you see a big sale or clearance. For example, birthday, christmas, whatever it is, i never buy just for the occasion. I am always looking for the missing thing in my wardrobe whether it is a woolen jacket or a pair of simple black boots and when i see the right deal, i get it even if its in the jacket in the middle of the summer.
3. Stick to your tastes and styles. Just because a name brand store is having a sale, does not mean you have to get it. Most brands have an affordable line for shoppers like us who want to own the first branded bag or shoes but they are pretty basic. So if i like leopard and fur and i can't afford to get it designer, i rather have a faux fur at street stores anyways. It doesn't matter how much designer stuff i own, what matters is how much i love my frugal $30 leopard jacket and how well i carry it :).
4. Home shopping and gadgets - One tip that is the most important when it comes to home shopping is 'you don't need so many gadgets'. A Gadget to keep your coffee warm, to make that special smiley pancakes or whatever looks like a great idea at the store is not so good an idea when its sitting pretty in storage for the rest of the year. Moderation is the best policy :).
5. Online shopping - My only mode of shopping since i have become a mother is online shopping. I admit that it misses the touch and feel factor and takes a bit of waiting but it adds convenience and comparison to the experience. Often times, i see whats online and then hit the stores to try it on. It's easier to miss things in the store sometimes if its not hanged at the right place or just not available in that store but i can see a 100 dresses on the website in 5 minutes and shortlist what i like so now when i go to the store, i am more efficient in looking for those faves.
Also, subscribe to your favorite stores online. I know my mailbox is more like an ad page these days but its nice to know when there is free shipping or sales in stores before even going to the mall. Websites like Shopstyle.com allow you to look up items across various retail stores and see where you can get the best prices.
Enjoy your shopping and spend responsibly! Happy Holidays from Frugal Stylist!
P.S A woolen cape, classic leather pumps, paintings for the house are some the items on my To-Buy list. Whats in your shopping list? Leave a comment and maybe i can help you find it :).
Something about the holidays, makes us want to shop and gift. It's a time for planning get-togethers, shop till you drop and eat like there's no tomorrow. But all the deal craziness around me makes me go the other way sometimes. I might get that one thing i've been eyeing all year if it finally goes on sale but to the most part, i just wait till the crowds disappear until after the new years eve. Isn't that the best time for a sale really!
But when it comes to gifting, unless it is something your family/friends really want, we end just piling on to the stuff we all already own. And this is especially true for kids, whose rooms are filled with toys they never use. I have come across many mom blogs about the concept of gifting time and experiences rather than things and i feel like that's a great solution to our society's ever growing need to own more and more.
So here are some of my fave experiences for kids and adults to gift this holiday season:
1. Annual Memberships for zoos , aquariums and theme parks don't come cheap. It's a great gift and entire family will appreciate.
2. Movie gift cards from sites like fandango are a great way to give a fun family experience.
3. Concert tickets to your favorite symphony, ballet or rock concert
4. Buying lessons for the kids like piano/swimming/iceskating or anything they are into. It could even be a one time visit to Disneyland while the parents get to relax at home :).
5. Spa or facials are always great gifts for men and women
6. And of course if you are gifting someone special and want to spend more , then a nice vacation all paid will not just be fun but maybe a great way to spend family christmas!
So have fun gifting this holiday season and think before you gift. The best moments in life are not gift wrapped :).
A lot of my friends rarely wear their jewelry and the sole reason is that its never all in one place. The key to getting your look quick and effortless with the right accessories is to keep them handy and visible just like your dresses in the closet. Here are some of my favorite ways to store jewelry.
1. Little black jewelry dress: This is a great way to store a ton of jewelry and it barely takes any space in your closet. The key is to promptly return your jewelry to the dress each time you remove it :).
2. Shabby Chic Jewelry display: Who doesn't like looking at pretty jewelry and it might even motivate you to wear it more often when it's on a beautiful display like this one here.
3. Acrylic Jewelry case: If you are looking for a sleek and modern case to put on your dresser, then the acrylic jewelry case is a perfect match.
4. Travel Jewelry case: Don't forget to carry your jewels on your travels. This stylish mini travel case will ensure you always have your jewelry by your side where ever you go.
Enjoy the holidays looking stylish and feeling happy. A little early but thanks to all my readers and hope you find something useful and inspiring to takeaway from the blog.
It took me a long time to understand winter wear coming from South India where we never have one cold day. But from all my trials and tribulations, i figured even if winter wear costs a bit more, it lasts lot longer if you get the soft cashmere ones. These cozy neutrals are a winter wardrobe staple to be able to mix it up with other colors or just wear and go. This season add a bit of sparkle to your knits with a belt or shoes and enjoy your winter.