Holidays are all about giving and so the pressure is on for many to find the perfect gift. Frugal stylist has you covered with the trendiest as well as the classic gifts. A little sparkle goes a long way so don't shy away from spending a bit more on a good piece of jewelry. Who better than an Indian to say it since we alone control the gold market share :P.
With days filled with todo's, pick ups, work and weekends filled with socializing, driving (yea thats a quality amount of time we spend in car), shopping, we realize there is not so much time for oneself anymore. What's a girl to do, when she needs something more than sipping coffee or window shopping to rejuvenate? Dance, just dance your ass off!
There was a time when i took ballet for two years every week and i still remember my happiness after the class at 9pm after a whole day of work and a ballet class. So many of my friends would ask, Aren't you tired? And i go, this is my relaxation!
So if you need some inspiration to get some classes or simply turn on the music and start dancing, here are some of my all time favorite dance movies:
1. Shall we dance Who can forget the image of JLO in those sleek buns doing a tango with the very charming Richard Gere. Coincidentally, my ballet teachers name was Richard too and quite a gentleman he was. This movie just shows how anyone can dance and learn to enjoy it
2. Dirty dancing: Havana nights Yes ,this was my first love affair with cuban dance forms and the music and the fashion. Represent Represent CUBA!!! It made me want to learn spanish although i am still working on it.
3. Take the lead A great real life story of how dance can teach life lessons and give direction to the kids on the streets. It is an inspirational movie with some amazing dances to enjoy.
4. Step up The first of the sequels is my favorite and it has a good mix of street dance and modern ballet. It's not one of the classics but still a good dance movie for this generation.
5. Black Swan If you love ballet, Black Swan is one of the most beautiful shows ever with pretty costumes and a great story. The 2010 movie though is dark, sometimes scary but also gives us a peek into the cut throat world of ballerinas.
So, Just dance, gonna be okay!
If there is any one thing that is vital to getting ready fast in the morning, it is a clean and organized closet. I am always trying to re-organize my closet by separating the winters, summers, dresses, etc. But more often than desired, i get lazy and the closet is all upside down with clothes everywhere and when i really want to wear that special sequin sweater, well i just have to give up because it's somewhere, just not here. I finally got to redo my walk-in closet and now i actually have all my clothes, bags and accessories in one place (at least for now). I somehow never liked the idea of having shoes in the bedroom unless they are my very special leather thigh high boots because they are almost pants i guess. okay side tracked but the point is, it is totally worth it in investing some time and money in organizing your closet. However messy it gets, at least it will be an organized mess. So before you go on that holiday shopping spree, take time to reorganize your closet and donate the ones that never see the light of the day.
From the ancient Indian sculptures to the Italian paintings, women were celebrated in their real forms with curves and bellies. I don't know when we moved towards this perfect body obsession but like all girls, I grew up with it even in India. As a teenager, I profoundly remember the moment of realization that as long as you are thin, you are pretty. This was my Hollywood influence of course because girls in my school didn't care so much about their weight actually. I feel sad when I see how even today we have to use a women's body to sell a product. Be it a car, burger(Carl's Junior), website(godaddy) or music( too many to name one). But this phenomenon is not just affecting women's outlook but their lives in a real way. It affects their job, love life and social life too. In a country like India where arranged marriages are still the norm, men are weighed by their accomplishments and women by their beauty. It's a bonus if she has both. And this is a parents perspective. I wish young women today feel pride in their bodies and wear what they feel like. All you need is confidence to pull any look. While we all love fashion and style, lets show the world it's every women's right not just a size 0s to feel good. And MEN, your perfect woman comes in all sizes, just like you :).
If you are like most women i know, we can never wear a crop top bearing our not so perfect midriff outside. But here is how i am still loving the trend and also shopping actively for them. Don't worry it's a secret you will want to hear :).
Most indian women like me are always looking for pretty blouses for the sarees and it is almost impossible finding a good one here or in india. So i instead decided to get as many crop tops in different colors, textures, styles to fit my saree needs and these are all of much lesser value than actually buying or getting custom made in India.
Here are some of the best crop top styles suited for a blouse.
Hi! Welcome to the AV Stylist blog. I am Archana Vonipenti, fashion stylist, Software engineer, style enthusiast and mother to two very active boys. I enjoy writing, coding, traveling, shopping (of course) and interior design.